This course will provide a refresher to the key principles of bio-containment and safety procedures for working safely with biological hazards (clinical, biological, pathogens) and genetically modified (GM) agents in the laboratory or clinical areas.
A workshop based refresher exercise will include bio-containment, handling biological/clinical waste, disinfection & decontamination, personal protective equipment, transport, storage and the process of risk assessment (using QMUL risk assessment templates).
Updates to QMUL and legislative requirements in the context of the management of biological hazards and genetic modification work will be covered. This course covers work generally conducted at Containment Level 1 & 2 laboratories (or equivalent).
Objectives: Attendees will participants will be able to refresh their knowledge of:
• the hazards arising from working with biological/clinical materials, pathogens & GM agents and routes of infection
• the key principles of bio-containment
• the key measures required to contain biohazards and GM agents from start of work through to waste disposal and storage
• the relevant legislation underpinning biological & GM work and be aware of legislative updates
• the risk assessment process
Suitability: For laboratory research, technical, clinical and teaching staff and PhD students continuing to work with clinical and biological materials (tissue, blood, bodily fluids and cells, human or animal / plant / insect pathogens).
Duration: 1.5 hours
For further information please contact email@example.com
Please make sure that your place on the course has been confirmed before you make a payment.